I took this photograph at the Nieuwmarkt – just experimenting with composition a little. Coming up this week…
- Guess what FINALLY comes out in movie theaters TOMORROW? Woody Allen‘s Midnight in Paris! Check out the following movie theaters in Amsterdam for times and ticket prices: The Movies, Cine Center and Pathe. And have you seen Melancholia or Profession: Heartbreaker?
- For shoppers and vintage-lovers, here’s an event you’ll love! There’s an indoor/outdoor flea market (the largest in Holland!) taking place this weekend, September 17 and 18 in Amsterdam Noord. It’s called the IJ-Hallen and costs 4 euro for entry. Click here for the address.
- Amsterdam, in my opinion, is the number one bicycle city. How about one of these bike routes, by The Guardian Travel: Jordaan Explorer, Gritty City, Scenic City or Museum Loop.
- Looking for something to do on Saturday? How about visiting one of the Saturday markets, either the Noordermarkt or the Nieuwmarkt?
- Last weekend was the Westerpark Festival, and this weekend is the Jordaan Festival! On September 17 and 18, enjoy performances by traditional Dutch performers. The Jordaan has a musical history that dates back to the early 20th century, and the festival is a way of commemorating this. You can find a statue of famous Jordaan performers, including Johnny Jordaan, on the Prinsengracht and Elandsgracht (see a photograph and explanation here).
- Another Puremarkt this Sunday, but this time at the George Gershwinplein, from 11am-6pm.
- Also on Sunday, the Sunday Market East Side at the van Gendthallen, and Amsterdam Roest has opened its doors where you can sit on the terrace, visit the city-beach and have a picnic.
- Coming up this week is Amsterdam Bar Week, from September 19-23. For five days, renowned drinks and lifestyle brands host events in the most beautiful and exclusive bars in Amsterdam. Tickets are 25 euros and can be purchased here.
- So we all know this iconic image of Obama but do you know the artist? Also known as “Obey the Giant,” this artist is one of the most famous street artists in the world. Click here to see a sample of his work. Obey’s work can be seen at the GO Gallery in Amsterdam, located at Prinsengracht 64A until October 16th, via amsterdam NOW.
- Oh and if you’re interested in ballet and dance, be sure to check out the Het Nationale Ballet, a ballet company in Amsterdam that just celebrated its 50th anniversary. Buy tickets for this special performance online. Also, purchase the “Vive La Danse” magazine (featuring photographs by famous Dutch photograph Erwin Olaf) at the Bijenkorf or online.
- Last but not least, have you heard of Frozz, 100% natural low-fat frozen yoghurt in Amsterdam! Open daily from 12-10pm at the following locations: Hartenstraat 36, Rokin 30 and Javaplein, and Monday-Saturday at Waterlooplein 13. Mmm can’t wait to try it tomorrow after rummaging through secondhand goods at the Waterlooplein flea market (stay tuned for next weeks’ Amsterdam Insights!)
Click for more Amsterdam Insights, published every Wednesday, and here for previous Coming Up posts: 1, 3, 4 and 5.