Ha, this photograph makes me laugh. My mom actually pointed this out to me when she was in Amsterdam visiting me, and we were biking along the Amstel River, across the street from the Hermitage Museum. Why not leave your laundry out to dry, right? Coming up this week in Amsterdam…
- New to Amsterdam? Come check out Expactica‘s annual ‘i am not a tourist’ Fair at Amsterdam’s Beurs van Berlage on Saturday, October 23rd, via iamsterdam. It’s a great opportunity to learn about everything the city has to offer. And Time Out Amsterdam magazine will be there too! Be sure to order your FREE tickets here.
- Speaking of Time Out Amsterdam, the voting for the Best of Amsterdam Awards 2011 is well on its way! Vote for your favourite business in Amsterdam for a chance to win a Workcycles bike, either online or instore at 250 nominated locations throughout the city. Winners will be announced in the December issue.
- Last week I mentioned a day trip to The Hague and this week I want to bring to your attention the city of Rotterdam! Why Rotterdam? Well, there’s an exhibition I would love to see, “Eugene Atget” at the Fotomuseum. For the first time in The Netherlands, more than 200 photographs by the famous French photographer, Eugene Atget (1857-1927), are on display. And, you’ll be happy to know that the museum is FREE on Wednesdays as of October 19th! More information about opening hours and fees and how to get there.
- And if you’re in Rotterdam, why not check out the other two museums close by? The Museum Boijmans van Beuningen showcases an impressive display of art from the early Midde Ages to the 21st century (also free on Wednesdays!), while the Kunsthal is a more experimental museum, exploring all forms of culture from old art and new art to design and photography, and holds up to 25 exhibitions a year (free guided tours on Sunday at 11.30am!)
- Back to Amsterdam…. The Amsterdam Dance Event (ADE) has started today! From Wednesday to Saturday this week, dance your heart out to 700+ artists from all over the world at this celebration of electronic music. Click here for a program of events.
- As part of the Amsterdam Dance Event (ADE), Subbacultcha! is organizing an event at the Concertgebouw on Museumplein called ‘Entree Late Night Cafe‘ featuring Glaswegian producer Dam Mantle. It should be a fun time and it’s free for all!
- Why not grab a cup of Frozz(en) yoghurt sometime this week, only 100 calories!
- Or take a walk down the Haarlemmerstraat and Haarlemmerdijk on a Saturday morning, stopping at Two For Joy Coffee Roasters for a quick caffeine fix before heading to the Noordermarkt?
- It’s the last week to visit the ‘Rembrandt and Degas’ exhibition at the Rijksmuseum (till October 23rd) and the ‘Still Life: Contemporary Dutch Photography’ exhibition at the Foam (till October 26th)!