- It’s Movember, a month long initiative that’s spread worldwide to raise awareness for men’s health (including prostate cancer and men’s depression). Guys, create your own ‘Mo Space’ on the Movember Nederland website and raise money for your Mo growing efforts! Be sure to stop by the Mo Space at the Magna Plaza for Mo-related accessories, and stay up to date with activities and events throughout the month of Movember on their Facebook page.
- Running till Sunday, November 6th is the first edition of Amsterdam Film Week – check out some of this past years’ best films, including OSCARS and Golden Globe nominees but also winners from the most prestigious film festivals around the world including Cannes, Berlin and the TriBeCa film festival. Click here for a list of films and buy tickets here.
- Stop by Foam (Keizersgracht 609) on Friday, November 4th for the opening of the exhibition ‘What’s Next? The Future of the Photography Museum’ by guest curators Jefferson Hack (founder of Dazed & Confused magazine), Alison Nordstrom (Director of Photographs at the George Eastman House), Erik Kessels (co-founder of KesselsKramer) and Lauren Cornell (Curator of the New Museum).
- Speaking of photography, why not check out the Huis Marseille, the first photography museum in Amsterdam, housed in a gorgeous canal house on the Keizersgracht (401) for the exhibition, “Scarlett Hooft Graafland: Soft Horizons” on display until December 11th. I just recently visited and it’s lovely.
- Stroll down the Utrechtsestraat after and grab a coffee and slice of homemade apple pie at the cosy cafe Zuivere Koffie (39).
- Have you purchased your tickets for this years Museumnacht, or “museum night” on Saturday, November 5th? It’s going to be a great night – 45 museums in Amsterdam will open their doors late into the night and there will be music, dancing, art, food… Everything! Buy tickets here.
- Why not cosy up in one of the five nominees for best brown cafe in Amsterdam: De Drie Fleschjes, Café ’t Papeneiland, Café ’t Smalle, Café Tabac and Café Van Zuylen? November 4th is your last chance to vote for Time Out Amsterdam‘s ‘Best of Amsterdam Awards 2011.’
- Speaking of Time Out Amsterdam, have you picked up the November issue yet?
- Why not head to The Movies on Haarlemmerdijk to see Beginners, featuring Ewan McGregor, a young man who is rocked by the news that his father, Christopher Plummer, is terminally ill, and has a young male lover.
- Friday, November 4th through Sunday, November 6th, visit the Storytelling Festival at the NDSM shipyard (remember my post on Amsterdam-Noord?) Many of the events will be in English, check the website for a full program.
Click for more Amsterdam Insights, published every Wednesday, and here for previous Coming Up posts: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.