Beautiful swans spotted in one of the Amsterdam canals. While I’m in London this weekend visiting my sister, I’ll leave you with some things to fill your weekend…
- This weekend, November 11th and 12th, Paradiso will host the second edition of 2011’s London Calling festival, a music festival that showcasing new bands and trends with a focus on the UK. Atlanta-born Ernest Greene of Washed Out will perform on Friday the 11th. Check out the full program and purchase tickets here.
- It’s your last chance to visit the following exhibitions: ‘Unguarded Moments: Photographs by Marianne Breslauer‘ (November 13) at the Jewish Historical Museum and ‘Shanghai Gesture‘ (November 14) at the Museum Willet-Holthuysen.
- Venture to the Jewish Historical Museum (Nieuwe Amstelstraat 1) for the lecture, ‘Lecture: A chance to participate’ by photography curator Ute Eskildsen, about Marianne Breslauer and other avant-garde photographers of the inter-war years. Don’t miss it (it’ll be in English!): Sunday November 13th at 2.30pm (free with an entrance ticket).
- It’s time for another Sunday Market at the Westerpark (see last months’ post)! Stop by November 13th between 12 and 6pm.
- Speaking of November 13th (Sunday is a busy day!), follow the arrival of Sinterklaas in his steamboat down the Amstel river at 10.30am. He’ll arrive at the Scheepvaart Museum (Kattenburgerplein 1) at noon, followed by a parade through the city on his white horse Amerigo (1.30pm at Dam Square for a meeting with the Mayor of Amsterdam and then down to the Leidseplein where he will give a short speech on the balcony of the Stadsschouwburg). Expect 500+ Zwarte Pieten and more than 300,000 spectators! For those new to Amsterdam (or The Netherlands), don’t miss it.
- I’ve had the most delicious meals recently: a pumpkin burger with portobello mushroom and gorgonzola at Burgermeester (Plantage Kerklaan 37, Albert Cuypstraat 48, Elandsgracht 130) and scrambled eggs with chives (I’d love to try their scones with Devonshire clotted cream and jam) at Greenwoods (Singel 103).
- Why not explore Amsterdam-Oost? I’ve just put together a list of places to visit and things to explore!
- Don’t forget that to support your friends on their moustache-growing efforts for Movember (donate here)! Visit the ‘Mo Space‘ at the Magna Plaza behind Dam Square for other Movember-related items and events. Check out their Facebook page for more.