There’s nothing better than browsing coffee table books, magazines and new novels at the American Book Center in the early evening (ABC is open till 8pm Monday-Wednesday and Friday and Saturday, till 9pm on Thursday and 6.30pm on Sunday evening). Coming up this week in Amsterdam…
- The 24th edition of the International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam (IDFA) will take place from November 16-27th of November. More information here: the full program, day-by-day schedule and tickets/locations.
- YES WE CANTEEN is a new student-initiative to transform cafeterias in the Netherlands by inviting local companies to set up a booth, allowing for a wide range of food options. Some of these local companies include Peperwortel Traiteur & Catering, 24/7 Pizza, Amsterdam Cupcake Company, Anne&Max, NewSilkRoads and The Mad Bakers. This week, until Friday the 18th of November, YES WE CANTEEN is hosting a “test week” of their concept at the University of Amsterdam (Oudezijds Achterburgwal 237) between 9am and 9pm. Stop by and check it out!
- Speaking of food, why not check out one of the many restaurants involved in this years’ Puur Restaurant Week of November 14-21? Every restaurant involved is free to make up their own menu but biological and fair trade projects have to be a central component. Check out a list of the restaurants participating in Amsterdam.
- I went to an interesting lecture by James Gleick last week about his new book ‘The Information,’ organized by the John Adams Institute in Amsterdam. Future lectures include a discussion of the new biography ‘Van Gogh: The Life‘ by Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith (November 22) and Jeffrey Eugenides’ new novel ‘The Marriage Plot‘ (December 15).
- Why not head water-side and check out the following museums: NEMO Science Center (Oosterdok 2), Architecture Center ARCAM (Prins Hendrikkade 600) and the Scheepvaartmuseum or ‘Maritime Museum’ (Kattenburgerplein 1).
- Other day trips include a trip up North, a walk around the Westerpark followed by lunch at one of the many restaurants/cafes at the Westergasfabriek, or why not wander through the canals of Amsterdam, like the Prinsengracht, and stop for a traditional ‘stamppot’ at IJScupyje or a hearty sandwich at Singel 404?