Have you heard of car2go? You can now rent these small electrical cars in the center in Amsterdam, a grab and-go system and you pay per minute. Will you be trying car2go? Coming up this week in Amsterdam…
- Join Foam Lab for ‘Brand Night‘ on Thursday, December 1st at the photography museum, Foam (Keizersgracht 609). Expect branding of Foam on everything from socks to bicycles.
- Cinedans, the international dance and movie festival, will be taking place in Amsterdam from December 1st through 4th. Check out a list of documentaries here (I’m thinking the Hans van Malen documentary looks intriguing), and the full program here.
- For those in Amsterdam, you might have noticed the ‘Winter Plaza’ on Leidseplein, complete with an ice rink. On December 2nd, the ‘Winterland Amsterdam‘ will open at the Rembrandtplein which will feature a festive market, snacks and drinks (think gluhwein, or “mulled wine”) and another ice rink. A third ice rink will open on Museumplein on December 21st. More Christmas-related events here.
- Monday, December 5th is Sinterklaas! Sinterklaas and his ‘Zwarte Pieten’ arrived by boat in Amsterdam on Sunday, November 13rd. His arrival was followed by a parade in the city and a visit to the department store the Bijenkorf on Dam Square on Sunday, November 27th. He’ll be at the Bijenkorf again this weekend, on December 3rd and 4th from 1-4pm. (Did you spot the photograph of carrots in boots in the recent in 5 #8? It’s a Dutch tradition to leave your shoe out by the fireplace instead of stockings for Sinterklaas to fill with candy.)
- Why not stop by the Pop-Up Wine Bar on the Marnixstraat (429), open Wednesday to Saturday from 4pm till midnight and Sunday from 2-9pm.
- Did you know that the movie theater Kriterion (Roetersstraat 170) has student prices? Only 6.50 euros a ticket! They’re showing Moneyball, Submarine, Beginners and Drive this week.
- The 3rd edition of the ‘Dancing on the Edge‘ festival, a festival that celebrates contemporary dance and theater from North Africa and the Middle East, will be taking place in Amsterdam (and 4 other cities in the Netherlands) from December 6-11. Check the website for the program.
- It’s your last chance to visit the ‘What’s Next? The Future of the Photography Museum‘ exhibition at the photography museum Foam (Keizersgracht 609), till December 7th. See previous post about Foam.
- And if you have more than an hour to spare this weekend, watch the John Adams Institute lecture I mentioned the other week, the discussion of the new biography ‘Van Gogh: The Life‘ by Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith that took place on November 22nd. Thanks Van Gogh Museum for the link!