Beautiful view over the Amstel River from the other week. Coming up in Amsterdam this week…
- Today is the VERY LAST DAY to see the exhibition, What’s Next? The Future of the Photography Museum‘ exhibition at the photography museum Foam (Keizersgracht 609). I went last week and I highly recommend it! From the 8th-15th of December, Foam will close its doors to prepare for its next 3 exhibitions, “Joel Sternfeld: Color Photographs” (December 16-March 14, 2012), “Stanley Greene: Black Passport” (December 16-February 5, 2012) and “Sara-Lena Maierhofer: Dear Clark” (December 16-February 5, 2012).
- Speaking of Foam, don’t forget to stop by the pop-up Foam Talent exhibition at the Vijzelstraat 78.
- Another new exhibition at the NIMk (Keizersgracht 264), “The Greater Cloud,” on display from December 10-February 5, 2012. The exhibition centers around the internet – the internet as platform, medium or subject matter functions as a source of inspiration for artists and influences their artistic practice. Should be interesting!
- This Sunday, Roest (voted the Time Out Amsterdam‘s Best Creative Hotspot 2011) is hosting a Sunday Market – score all your Christmas presents, jam to some music and sip a glass of Gluhwein. It’s going to be a great time. The Sunday at Roest is sponsored by Overdose.am and will take place from 12-8pm at Czaar Peterstraat 213.
- Don’t forget, the 3rd edition of the ‘Dancing on the Edge‘ festival, a festival that celebrates contemporary dance and theater from North Africa and the Middle East, will be taking place in Amsterdam (and 4 other cities in the Netherlands) till December 11th. Check the website for the program.
- Traveling to Amsterdam soon and looking for a place to stay? Why not try out the newly opened (as of the 3rd of December) Hotel The Exchange (Damrak 50). The hotel offers 61 diverse rooms, ranging from one to five stars to cover all budgets and each of the rooms is designed and “dressed” by graduates and alumni of the Amsterdam Fashion Institute (AMFI). Be sure to check out the hotel’s restaurant, STOCK (Damrak 50) or gift shop/contemporary department store, Options! (Damrak 50A).
- And speaking of hotels, Hilton Worldwide has announced that they are opening a ‘Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam’ alongside the Herengracht in 2013.
- Wagamama, the notorious noodle chain, opens its doors at Rembrandtplein (Amstelstraat 8 ) on December 13th!
- Be sure to get your copy of Time Out Amsterdam‘s December issue (cover designed by Amsterdam graffiti legend ‘Shoe’ (Niels Shoe Meulman) with a complete list of the “The Best of Amsterdam 2011.” AND look out for Time Out Amsterdam’s latest restaurant guide (2012) that has just hit shelves across the city.