Have you noticed all the different Christmas lights in Amsterdam this December? Every neighborhood has decorated with its own lights – the ones above are from the Negen Straatjes or ‘Nine Streets’ in the Jordaan. It’s Christmas time, and I’m slowing down with my posts (it’s also my brother and sisters’ birthday today, so I’m focusing all my attention on them!) I’ll be back in the new year with plenty more Amsterdam Insights, but stay tuned for next weeks’ Coming Up (#17) and the December Round-Up. For now, events in Amsterdam this week…
- Looking for unique presents? Why not head to the new ‘contemporary design department store,’ Options!, part of the new hotel, Hotel The Exchange on Damrak, and pop into STOCK for a quick bite to eat or a lovely cappuccino. See my previous post here.
- Other great stores can be found along the Haarlemmerstraat/Haarlemmerdijk (Het Grote Avontuur at Haarlemmerstraat 25 is one of my favorites!) as well as the Utrechtestraat.
- What about books as gifts for friends or family? Why not check out Boekie Woekie (Berenstraat 16) or the American Book Center (Spui 12)?
- Get into the Christmas spirit and see the classical ballet performance, The Nutcracker, by the Ballet of the State Opera of Tatarstan at the Schouwburg Amstelveen or a Dutch twist on the original ballet (The Nutcracker and the Mouse King) by ‘Het Nationale Ballet‘ at the Muziektheater Amsterdam.
- Or head over to the Leidseplein (hosting olliebollen and poffertjes stalls, Gluhwein and bradwurst, a Christmas market and an ice rink), the Rembrandtplein ‘Winterland’ (complete with a larger ice rink, a Christmas market and several food and drink stalls, including a Gluhwein cafe) or the Museumplein’s Ice*Amsterdam (the biggest ice rink of them all).
- Lots happening at the Cultuurpark Westergasfabriek in the Westerpark (see previous post here), including a family circus, Circus Zanzara, from the 22nd and an ice rink and other winter activities from the 23rd.
- Head to Two For Joy Coffee Roasters (Frederiksplein 29 or Haarlemmerdijk 182) for homemade Gluhwein or hot chocolate, or blueberry pancakes in the weekends! If you haven’t noticed, I’m a big fan!
- Seeing as its a warm Christmas this year, why not wander the streets of Amsterdam? The Prinsengracht and Brouwersgracht are two of my favorite areas in the city. The Westerpark is great too.
- And… Merry Christmas! Hope you have a wonderful time with family and friends this Christmas!