Don’t you just love Amsterdam at night? I took this photograph on the Keizersgracht, just around the corner from Huis Marseille (401) and Cafe George on the Leidsegracht (84). Coming up this week in Amsterdam…
- The Zaans LEFestival will be taking place from 25-29 January, a cultural festival in the picturesque town of Zaandam just a little ways from Amsterdam.
- Also this week, the Amsterdam International Fashion Week (AIFW) from 25-29 January. Twice yearly, in late January and again in July, the AIFW takes the city by storm. Click here for the full schedule of events, taking place at the Westergasfabriek.
- Check out a list of hotspots in Amsterdam, picked by the AIFW team, including Cafe George, the great shop OPTIONS!, grocery store Marqt, bookstore TASCHEN and the Foam photography museum.
- As of tomorrow, you can visit the exhibition ‘Culture Couture‘ at the Tropenmuseum (Lineausstraat 2). Until 26 June, young fashion talent from Antwerp’s Academy of Fine Arts will showcase a selection of spectacular creations inspired by other cultures. And if that isn’t reason enough to visit the Tropenmuseum, ‘The World Exhibition‘ by Mexican artist Erick Beltrán looks very interesting! The exhibition features interviews done by Beltrán and a team of young anthropologists of residents of Amsterdam, “assembling the results in a contemporary encyclopedia.”
- Love this map of Amsterdam East-Side by Jean Cameron on ‘They Draw & Travel,’ a collection of maps illustrated by artists from around the world, via unstitched.
- Tomorrow night, Thursday 26 January, the photography museum Foam (Keizersgracht 609; see previous post) is opening (another) pop-up shop on the Vijzelstraat 78, this time called &Foam, a concept store selling photography, magazines, books and more. There will be 4 editions of &Foam in 2012, starting with Foam&Fashion, then Music&Foam, Design&Foam and Film&Foam. The opening will take place tomorrow night 5.30pm, and after, the shop will be open Monday & Sunday from 12pm-6pm, Tuesday-Saturday from 10am to 6pm and Thursday nights till 9pm.
- Bored of lazy Sundays? Head over to the movie theatre Cinecenter (Lijnbaansgracht 236) to watch a matinee movie for only 6 euro. This Sunday 29 January they’re screening Tinker Tailor Solider Spy with Colin Firth at 11.00, Roman Polanski‘s Carnage at 11.15 and The Iron Lady starring the fabulous Meryl Streep at 11.15. I say, why not!
- Or head over to Cafe van Leeuwen (Keizersgracht 711, on the corner of the Utrechtsestraat) for Sunday evening Jazz from 5pm.
- And if you’re looking for somewhere to eat this weekend, check out Mark Bittman’s latest article ‘Eating Out in Amsterdam: Way Beyond Herring‘ on the International Herald Tribune‘s website. Also, ‘36 Hours in Amsterdam,’ published in April 2011, has some great addresses.