It snowed in Amsterdam earlier this week! Well, snowed might be an exaggeration, more like ‘sprinkled.’ But Amsterdam was very beautiful, and I hope it snows again soon. Coming up this week in Amsterdam…
- It’s your last week to visit the exhibitions ‘Stanley Greene: Black Passport’ and ‘Sara-Lena Maierhofer: Dear Clark‘ (both till 5 Feb) at the photography museum Foam (Keizersgracht 609; see previous post).
- It’s also your last week to visit the exhibition ‘The Greater Cloud‘ at NIMk (Keizersgracht 264), an exhibition that centers around the internet – the internet as platform, medium or subject matter functions as a source of inspiration for artists and influences their artistic practice. Should be interesting! On display until 5 Feb.
- Have you heard of this Amsterdam goodie? Locals AMS is a private label that offers handmade desert boots from Spain. Love the variety of colors, really hope to get my hands on a pair for the spring. You can find Locals AMS at Labels (Utrechtsestraat 36), Heavens Playground (Westerstraat 158) or online at the Afura Online Store.
- There are so many great design stores off the beaten path: Raw Materials (Rozengracht 229; see previous post), Friday Next (Overtoom 31), Store Without a Home (Cabotstraat 1) via NYTimes, Restored (Haarlemmerdijk 39) and Droog (Staalstraat 7b).
- From Friday 3 to Wednesday 8, De Balie (Kleine Gartmanplantsoen 10) will be screening the documentary Urbanized, part of a three-part design documentary series by Gary Hustwit. Screenings daily at 8pm, 8 euros.
- Amsterdam (and a selection of boutiques, vintage shops and cafes picked out by Victoria Smith of sfgirlbybay) are featured in the latest edition of Anthology Magazine, available to purchase at RESTORED (Haarlemmerdijk 39).
- This weekend there will be, once again, a HUGE flea market in the IJ-Hallen, up North. The market is open on Sat 4 and Sun 5 Feb from 9.00am to 4pm and costs only 4 euros. Plus, see my post on Amsterdam-Noord.
- The first Sunday Market of the new year at the Westerpark (see previous post). From 12.00 to 6pm on Sunday 5 Feb, find the best goodies for Valentine’s day at this edition of the market.
- It’s COLD in Amsterdam and the winter temperatures will stick around till next week. So, I suggest warming up in a cozy cafe. How about a coffee a classic brown cafe in the Jordaan, Cafe de Pels (Huidenstraat 25), or something a little more quirky, Latei (Zeedijk 143). A cup of fresh mint tea at Singel 404 (Singel 404) or a fresh croissant and an espresso at Tearoom Lanskroom (Singel 385), a lovely caramel latte at Two For Joy Coffee Roasters (Frederiksplein 29 or Haarlemmerdijk 182), or a coffee and delicious slice of apple pie at Zuivere Koffie (Utrechtsestraat 39). So many choices!
- And be sure to pick up the February edition of Time Out Amsterdam magazine, ‘All You Need Is Love,’ out now!