It’s been a winter wonderland in Amsterdam this past week. Coming up this week…
- Have you been skating on the canals yet? Quick, before it’s too late!
- A winter walk through the Westerpark is beautiful too!
- As of today, you can make reservations ONLINE for the upcoming Restaurant Week in Amsterdam that will take place between 5 and 11 March. Restaurants in Amsterdam will be serving up 3-course dinners for only 27.50 euros, and lunches for 22.50 (but don’t be surprised if prices at Michelin star restaurants are a little more, you can expect a supplement of up to 10 euros per star). Click here for a full list of participating restaurants.
- Head over to the exhibition ‘The Printed Book: A Visual History‘ at the Special Collections of the University of Amsterdam (Oude Turfmarkt 129). “This exhibition/book brings together books to illustrate a canon of more than five hundred years of Western book design” (UvA). The Special Collections is open Tuesday-Friday from 10am till 5pm, and Saturdays and Sundays from 1-5pm.
- Tomorrow night, Thursday 9 Feb, there will be a (FREE) Writing Workshop with Fred Leebron (author and director of the MFA Program in Creative Writing at Queens University of Charlotte) at the ABC Treehouse (Voetboogstraat 11). The workshop will start at 6pm.
- Head to Rotterdam starting Thursday 9 Feb till Sunday 12 Feb for the 12th edition of the contemporary art fair, ART Rotterdam, and design fair, OBJECT Rotterdam. You’ll also find the RAW Art Fair just a 700m walk from the departure hall of the Holland America Line from Wednesday 8 Feb to Sunday 12 Feb.
- Also starting Thursday 9 Feb, the ‘Best of 2011 by Cinema.nl‘ at Melkweg (Lijnbaansgracht 234). During the month of February, the so-called ‘best films of 2011’ (as chosen by the editors of Cinema.nl) will be screened. Check the website for a full list of screenings.
- The Art as Money Festival will take place at Club Trouw (Wibautstraat 127) on Thursday 9 Feb, a discussion about the real value of both art and money. The festival costs 30 euros (early bird tickets 20 euros) and will take place from 1-11pm.
- Two new exhibitions at Foam (Keizersgracht 609; see previous post) this week, starting Friday 10 Feb, ‘Les vacances de Monsieur Grunberg‘ (until 18 March) and ‘Pavel Prokopchik: The Tribe‘ (until 21 March). And don’t forget the exhibition ‘Joel Sternfeld: Color Photographs since 1970‘ (until 14 March).
- On Friday 10 Feb head to Paradiso (Weteringschans 6-8) for the beachy tunes of musician couple Tennis. Starts at 11pm, tickets are 12 euros.
- It’s Valentine’s Day next Tuesday, 14 February! Head over to the Haarlemmerstraat/Haarlemmerdijk where you’ll find Unlimited Delicious (Haarlemmerstraat 122) and Jordino (Haarlemmerdijk 25) for incredible chocolates. And how great is this ‘Great Dates in Amsterdam‘ article by Mark Smith, freelance writer & editor based in Amsterdam (follow him on Twitter).
- And be sure to pick up the February edition of Time Out Amsterdam magazine, ‘All You Need Is Love,’ out now!