- Today, Wednesday 21 March, head to the Bijenkorf (Dam Square 1) for the launch of Vogue Nederland. Grab a copy of one of the limited edition first issues, for just 5.95 euros. And click here for fashion travel tips from Vogue NL’s editor, via Mark Smith.
- Also tonight, another edition of the popular, The Secret Art of Growing Mushrooms, at the Mediamatic Bank (Vijzelstraat 68). Starts at 7pm and costs 35 euros.
- Pakhuis de Zwijger (Piet Heinkade 179) is a platform for creativity and innovation. This Thursday, 22 March, there’s another edition of Creative Amsterdam. This week, ‘Unlocking Business Opportunity’, brings together business leaders with both international and local insights into the creative industry. Starts at 7pm, reserve your spot online!
- The opening of the new exhibition, ‘New York Times Magazine Photographs‘ (until 30 May) will take place at the photography museum Foam (Keizersgracht 609; see previous post) on Thursday 23 March. The exhibition, curated by The New York Times Magazine Photographs photo editor, Kathy Ryan, and Lesley A. Martin, Publisher of the Aperture Books, reflects upon and interrogates the very nature of both photography and print magazines at this pivotal moment in their history and evolution. The book of the same name, recently published by the Aperture Foundation, will appear alongside the exhibition.
- On Friday 23 March, the opening of a new exhibition at the Jewish Historical Museum (Nieuwe Amstelstraat 1). The exhibition, ‘Else Berg and Mommie Schwarz‘ (until 24 June) is the first exhibition surveying the work of this husband-and-wife pair, who lived and worked in the Netherlands from 1910 to 1942 and were strongly influenced by a variety of national and international avant-garde art movements. The JHM has brought together more than 80 of their paintings and drawings, as well as a small selection of works by contemporaries who inspired them, such as Leo Gestel, Jan Sluijters, and Charley Toorop.
- Also on Friday 23 March, ‘GRAPHIC: 20 Posters in Amsterdam‘ opening at 6pm at Depot BG (Tolstraat 137). GRAPHIC asked 22 graphic designers and artists to develop poster designs to express their own social “agenda.”
- Sunday 25 March, this years’ first Pure Markt at the lovely Park Frankendael, a wonderful biological food market in a beautiful park. You won’t want to miss this on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Visit the market between 11am and 6pm.
- And until Sunday 25 March, Steve McQueen‘s ‘Blues Before Sunrise‘ installation in the Vondelpark. All 275 streetlamps in the park will emit blue light instead of white, vividly transforming the nighttime experience of Amsterdam’s most well known urban “green space.” Here’s a preview!
- If you’re traveling to Amsterdam in the near future, check out my full Amsterdam Insights roundup of the past 6 months. Cafes, shops, museums, restaurants and more!