Better late than never, right? The first green! Spring is finally here. This week in Amsterdam…
- Photography overload! A few photography-related posts for you… Unseen is a new international photography fair that will take place in Amsterdam’s Westergasfabriek from 19-23 September. It is a joint venture of the photography museum Foam (see previous post), the office for cultural business development Platform A, and the creative branding agency Vandejong. I’ve started my new internship at Unseen, as an Editorial Intern. Follow the fairs’ developments on the updated Facebook Page!
- There is a new exhibition, ‘New York Times Magazine Photographs‘ (until 30 May) at the photography museum Foam (Keizersgracht 609; see previous post) curated by The New York Times Magazine Photographs photo editor, Kathy Ryan, and Lesley A. Martin, Publisher of the Aperture Books. The book of the same name, recently published by the Aperture Foundation, will appear alongside the exhibition.
- The other much anticipated exhibition at Foam (Keizersgracht 609; see previous post) is the exhibition of Dutch photographer Bertien van Manen.
- Don’t forget about the new exhibition at Huis Marseille (Keizersgracht 401; see previous post), ‘Guy Tillim: Second Nature.’ In this exhibition, “the images of the South African photographer display an analytical precision that never fails to stir up the emotions.” Intriguing.
- Other non-photography related insights include… A great hairdresser in De Pijp, Bubblekid (Ferdinand Bolstraat 145), down the street from the bookstore/cafe Inkt & Olie (Ferdinand Bolstraat 151) and right around the corner from the ‘bakery and communal table’ Pain Quotidien (Cornelis Troostplein 2). I recently purchased a 40% off voucher for Bubblekid at Strawberry Earth (be sure to sign up for their newsletter for weekly deals!)
- If you’re around this weekend, the neighborhood of De Plantage will be hosting a ‘Spring Day‘ on Sunday April 1. Discovering rare tulips in de Hortus or drawing spring landscapes at the Rembrandthuis or soaking up some sun on the roof of Nemo, there’s lots to do. Check out the website for the full program.
- Also on Sunday April 1, the monthly Sunday Market (see previous post). From 12.00 to 6pm on Sunday 4 March, find the best goodies (sweets, homemade crafts, etc.) This edition is a ‘funky easter market.’
- If you’re traveling to Amsterdam in the near future, check out my full Amsterdam Insights roundup of the past 6 months. Cafes, shops, museums, restaurants and more!